Some 6 million automobile accidents occur on roadways in the United States every year. These accidents injured 3 million people last year, and cost approximately 40,000 their lives. Driving can be a dangerous task, and that is why we, as consumers, expect our vehicles to be safe and free of potentially dangerous design defects. Unfortunately, this is not always the case, and the number of annual recalls issued in our country may surprise you.
According to the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration, in 2012, the last year in which data was available, motor vehicle manufacturers filed a staggering 650 safety recalls. That equates to 17.8 million vehicles, child seats, and various other components that were sold to consumers with potentially dangerous design faults. It is important to note that a large number of recalls is not always a bad thing, and many manufacturers are able to catch problems before they ever have a chance to hurt consumers. However, design defects can become a serious problem when they go unaddressed, and such negligence on the part of companies may be grounds for an injury or wrongful death lawsuit. (NHTSA)
Some of the most common problems caused by automobile defects include:
• Airbags failing to deploy due to installation or electrical errors in manufacturing.
• Door latch failures, which can allow doors to open during an accident and cause the driver or passengers to be ejected from the vehicle.
• Fuel fed fires resulting from problems with the gas tank or fuel line.
• Poor glass integrity resulting from weak glass glazing, which can allow occupants to be ejected from a vehicle and suffer serious injuries.
• Unsafe tendency of a vehicle to roll over.
• Weak roofing, which may collapse in the event of a roll over accident.
• Seat belt failures, which can cause seat belts to unlatch, spool out, or tear during a collision.
• Tire failures, which may result in low grip and stability on the road, or in serious cases, tires blowing out while driving.
Any of these issues can cause serious traumatic injuries, and often leave victims relegated to a hospital bed unable to work or care for themselves while they recover. This is an incredibly tough spot to be in, and that is why it is important to have an experienced and proven legal team on your side.
Our lawyers have not only recovered substantial verdicts and settlements for our clients; we have also helped ensure that dangerous products were removed from their respective markets, preventing them from causing harm to anyone in the future. We are dedicated to getting you the compensation you need to pay your medical bills, make up for you lost wages, and cover your future health related expenses. If you or a loved one has been injured because of a defective product, you don’t have to bare the burden on your own, call us for a free consultation, and find out how our team can go to work for you.