Driving during the winter is often hazardous and the danger of car accidents is high. The State of Illinois website has published some tips for using your car during a winter weather storm.
1. Plan your travel, selecting both primary and alternative routes.
2. Let someone know your routes and itineraries. This way, if you don’t arrive on time, officials will know where to search for you.
3. Check latest weather information on your radio.
4. Try not to travel alone – two or three people are preferable.
5. Travel in convoy if possible.
6. Drive carefully and defensively. Watch for ice patches on bridges and overpasses.
7. If a storm beings to be too much for you to handle, seek refuge immediately.
8. If your car should become disabled, stay with the vehicle, running your engine and heater for short intervals. Be sure to “crack” a window in the vehicle to avoid carbon monoxide build-up.
For more information.